Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sulk #1 by Jeffery Brown




This a little black and white comic by Jeffrey Brown, featuring mostly the adventures of a character named Bighead.  I picked this up comic on a lark at my local comic store "Big Brother Comics."  I was pleased with the results of my grab.

The comic is a superhero comic, but it is also satiricle.  I love satire.  It reminds me of the Tick and other such things.  What I love the most about Satire is it makes me laugh, makes me think, and in the best instances, it is at least as effective at portraying drama as the thing it is satirizing.

The adventures of bighead revisits several different superhero tropes, but does it in an often child-like fashion, that tends to deliberately point out what is going on.  It brings to light how shallow much of the writing is for classic superhero comics.  But it still reminds me that I love them, mostly through the art.

The art appears rudementary, but is actually pretty darn good.  While the lines are messy, and sometimes the character's faces are inconsistent,, I have heard Jeffery Brown's style described as 'charmingly crude' and I agree with that assessment.  I will chalk some of this up to Jeffery Brown likely making no money whatsoever for this comic.  What the art does have is a good sense of pacing and of place, of angle and emotion, so that my immersion is never broken.  I appreciate this, and I give Jeffery Brown a thumbs up.  I will be checking in on him again in the future.

More on Jeffery Brown:
http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/jeffrey-brown

Oh, hey, check it out: He was also featured on Inkstuds:
http://www.inkstuds.org/stumptown-panel-with-jeffrey-brown-and-brandon-graham/

No comments:

Post a Comment